Thursday 16 June 2011

Quotes by Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) Abraham Lincoln was born on 12 February 1809 near Hodgenville, Kentucky. ... His parents were poor pioneers and Lincoln was largely self-educated. In 1836, he qualified as a lawyer and went to work in a law practice in Springfield, Illinois. Some of his famous quotes are:

"Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new after all."


"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."


"I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down."


"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right."


"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh -- anything but work."


"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me insufficient for that day."


"I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how a man could look up into the heavens and say there is no God."


"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."


"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. "


"I am glad to know that there is a system of labor where the laborer can strike if he wants to. I wish to God that such a system prevailed all over the world. "

No comments:

Post a Comment